Qualifying for an Abatement: Wyoming law (W.S. 20-2-305) allows for a temporary reduction in child support when a non-custodial parent has custody of the child(ren) for more than 15 consecutive days. Overnight and weekend visitation with the custodial parent during the period for which an abatement is claimed does not count to disrupt the 15 consecutive day requirement. Unless otherwise ordered by the court, child support shall abate by 1/2 of the daily support obligation for each day the non-custodial parent has physical custody of the child(ren) for at least 15 consecutive days.

Claim for Child Support Abatement: To claim an abatement for child support, the non-custodial parent must fill out and file the Claim for Child Support Abatement with the Clerk of District Court within 30 days after the child(ren) is/are returned to the custodial parent, and must also pay the $10.00 filing fee (cash, check, or money order). The Clerk will mail a copy of the Claim to the custodial parent. The non-custodial parent should also submit to the Clerk an Order on Abatement form on which the caption has been filled in. The Judge will complete the Order after the time for filing objections and responses has expired.

For printable Caim for Child Support Abatement, click here.

For other Abatement forms: http://legalhelpwy.org/ Under Get Legal Help click on Forms Library. Under Family Law you will find Abatement Forms and Procedures 

***Failure to file the Claim for Child Support Abatement with the filing fee withing the 30 day time period will result in a rejection of the claim.