The Johnson County Public Health Emergency Preparedness Team has the responsibility to respond to a public health emergency in our community. This includes preparing and planning before an event, plus the efforts during an event to minimize the impact on the health and safety of Johnson County. But preparing for a public health emergency is a shared responsibility, and we believe our job is to help you understand your own role in any prevention effort.
We are designing, exercising and preparing to set in motion incident-specific plans for protecting residents in the event of a public health emergency. These plans include:
- Providing information and materials to educate the public on what to do to prevent public health emergencies in Johnson County before they happen;
- Performing activities necessary for preparing, coordinating and managing local Strategic National Stockpile supplies;
- Communicating with the public about a public health event, including instructions for where to go if mass vaccination or dispensing is necessary;
- Working with state and county officials and personnel to maintain day-to-day operations and infrastructure;
- Working with community partners for an organized emergency response.
Likewise, your own prevention efforts before an event directly affect the outcome of any threat to Johnson County’s health. You can always contact our office at 684-2564 for more information on emergency preparedness, but keep these common-sense tips in mind:
- Check this website for special information and links to the most up-to-date information on any public health emergency in progress.
- Call our All Hazards Hotline at 684-5469 for advice on how to keep yourself and your loved ones as safe as possible during an incident.
- Stock up in advance for an extended stay in your home, as many public services and businesses will be operating on limited staff, inventory and supplies during any large-scale emergency.
- Hospitals and clinics are likely to be overwhelmed during a public health threat, so try to limit visits and phone calls.